COVID-19 Protocol: During these trying times we are still providing services as safely as possible by wearing face masks, disposable boot covers and gloves on each and every job. Our team members are also sanitizing vans, hand tools, smart devices at the beginning of and throughout each day. We ask that if you do schedule a service, that you maintain a minimum of 6′ from our employees. If you are in need of service we are still here to help.
Indoor Air Quality Specialists in Watertown
Serving Watertown, Newton and the surrounding areas
The Importance of Indoor Air QualityWe spend about 87% of our time indoors, but how often are you thinking about the air quality in your indoor spaces? Indoor air quality is defined as the condition of the air in your building, specifically focusing on air characteristics that affect your health and comfort. When the air quality in your home or business begins to dip, it can affect all aspects of your health and comfort. For many, if you do not work in the HVAC industry, it can be hard to understand what the common air pollutants are, the consequences of poor air quality, and what you can do when your air quality dips. We want to change that. Akian Plumbing & Home Services wants to give you all the information you need, so you can be the hero of your home or business. We know that the health of you and your family is your number-one priority—that’s why it is ours too. With over 100 years of combined experience, Akian Plumbing & Home Services knows what it takes to create the most comfortable environment for you—and keep it comfortable for years to come. If your indoor air quality is causing you concern, call us today at (617) 894-7803 and learn how Akian Plumbing & Home Services can help.
7 Common Indoor Pollutants and Their Risks
- Household products (like aerosol sprays, solvents, fabric softeners, paints, moth repellents, etc.)
- Certain household products cause eye, nose, and throat irritation, loss of coordination, and damage to your liver, kidneys, and brain.
- Immediate inhalation of pesticides can cause eye, nose, and throat irritation, but consistent exposure can lead to more severe problems like nervous system damage and increased risk of cancer.
- Excess moisture and mold
- Mold and mildew can exacerbate allergies and asthma symptoms, and increase instances of colds, flu, and pneumonia.
- While immediate symptoms are not present, lung cancer has been linked to excessive radon exposure.
- Pet saliva and dander
- We love our pets, but pet dander can trigger asthmatic symptoms in those who have allergies to animal dander. These pollutants can also clog your pre-existing air filtration systems.
- Smoke (both from tobacco and heating sources like coal and wood pellets)
- Smoke inhalation can increase the prevalence of respiratory infections and bronchitis, as well as cause emphysema, respiratory irritation, and eye, nose, and throat irritation.
- Nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide (produced by ovens, kerosene heaters and improperly installed vented appliances)
- When ventilation is poor, products that contain these chemicals can irritate your lungs, eyes, and mouth.
How Can You Improve Your Indoor Air Quality?These pollutants might feel hard to keep track of, but there are very real things you can do to take control of the air quality within your home or business.
- Check your filters: Make sure to inspect and clean your filters every few months. This includes AC filters, kitchen vents, and vacuum cleaners.
- Check your air ducts: While you’re checking your filters, include your ducts. This can be a common place for dust and dander to accumulate.
- Vacuum often (once or twice a week): Rugs and carpet will trap dust and other particles. Keeping them clean will stop dust and other allergens from building up in your home or office.
- Invest in a humidifier: Humidifiers will help you maintain consistent humidity levels, so that particularly dry winter months will not affect your home or business.
- Repair or replace your heating and air conditioning systems: When your furnaces, boilers, humidifiers, or air conditioners are not working properly it can affect the comfort level of your home and act as incubators for dust, dander, mold, and mildew.
“My GO TO plumber!”- Howie
“They were quick to respond, and provided excellent service.”- Joshua
“Definitely Recommend Akian Plumbing”- Lou